I renewed my LGSW and received a new printed license in the mail but it states "Licensed Master Social Worker". Is this still the same level?
Yes, we are reissuing licenses to all LGSW and LCSW to show the new titles - LMSW and LICSW.
How do you apply for licensure through Reciprocity?
Click here for Reciprocity requirements.
How do I enter my PIP number on-line to renewal my certification?
You no longer need to renew your PIP. The PIP will remain active as long as your LICSW is current.
How can I get an application for the social work licensing examination?
The applications are on our website under "Applications & Forms". These may be printed off the site completed and mailed in with the application fee (money order or cashier check) or you may request to have an application mailed to you. You also have the choice of completing the application process on-line. This is handled through Alabama Interactive for a processing fee of $3.50. The link to the application is also on our webpage.
What is required to be considered "License Eligible"?
For the Board to consider you as "license eligible" you must have an application in our office completed and approved. Being license eligible allows you to practice social work for an agency or organization while you are studying and taking the license examination.
Can an agency call the Board to verify if someone is license eligible?
Yes, we can verify if someone is license eligible by telephone, fax, email or mail.
How many continuing education hours do I need to renew my license?
You need thirty (30) hours for a two year period. Of the 30 Hours required 20 are allowed to be in self-study/home-study programs.
How many hours do I need of Supervision?
If you're a LBSW you'll need 24 months at (4) hours per month of supervision by a LMSW or LICSW working within the same agency or a PIP certified in the same practice method if coming from outside your agency. If your a LMSW working towards the qualifications for the LICSW you will need four (4) hours per month for 24 months, the supervision for the LICSW must come from a LICSW within the agency or a PIP certified in the same practice method if coming outside your agency.
I'm a LBSW and will be changing jobs, will I be required to repeat the 24 months of supervision?
All LBSW's are required to complete 24 months of supervision. After completing the 24 months of supervision the LBSW can continue to work without supervision. Should you change positions but remain in the same type of practice as you have already been supervised under then you would not need to repeat the supervision, however if you are going into a different type of practice or you will be serving a different type of client population you will need to repeat 6 months of supervision. The contract for supervision is on this website under "Supervision". You will need to printout the form and submit it to the Board's office for approval.
What kind of degree must I have to become a Social Worker in Alabama?
Any person applying for an Alabama Social Work License must have a degree in social work from a school accredited through Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). You can check which programs are accredited through CSWE by going to their web site at http://www.cswe.org/Accreditation/Accredited-Programs.aspx
When will my license be ready?
The Board of Social Work Examiners receives the grades about two weeks after the candidate. Once we receive your passing grade we assign you a license number and send both the letter and license. The licenses are printed in house. If you are a LBSW we will hold the license until we receive the signed supervision statement. (PDF/Understanding Statement on Supervision.pdf) This form can be found on our website under "Applications and Forms" Please print, read, and sign this form and return to our office. Upon receipt we will forward your license.
Do I have a sixty (60) day grace period to renew my license?
Your license expires the last day of your renewal month two years after it is issued, however you have sixty-days from the expiration date to renew it before it is cancelled. The hours to renew your license must be completed before the license expires, you cannot use the grace period to obtain additional hours to renew your license.
How long do we have to take the exam.
You have one year from the date your application is approved by the Board. The expiration of your approval will be on your letter sent to you from the Board. Should you fail the exam and wish to resit you'll have to submit a copy of your score sheet and the money order or cashiers check for $75 to the board's office. Both the application fee ($75) and the examination fee ($230 - Bachelors/Masters or $260 - Clinical) must be paid each time. Your exam dates must be at least 90 days apart which can allow you up to four times per year. The re-application process can also be completed on-line. The link is on our webpage. This is handled through Alabama Interactive. AI charges a processing fee of $3.50 for the service.
How often is the exam given?
The exam is given five (5) days a week and in some sites six (6) days a week except during December Holidays
Can I send a personal check or credit card number to renew my license?
No, you must pay with a certified check, money order, or Business check, no personal checks can be accepted and we can't take credit cards for paper renewals, however a credit card can be used for on-line renewals.
I do not live in Alabama but I would like to keep my license current, may I do so?
You may continue renewing your license even though you live out of state, however; you are required to submit the continuing education hours required and pay the renewal fee. This applies to all licensees.
Can I go Inactive?
Yes, we can now offer you the Inactive status for your social work license. You are still required to register the license every two years and pay the inactive fee ($25) but you are not required to report any CE hours. Should a person that elected inactive status wish to return to social work practice they will be required to make up the hours at the rate of 15 hours each year inactive with the maximum to make up being 45 hours. The make up hours must follow a certain percentage in classroom and may include some on-line or self-study. The makeup hours must be at least 35% pre-approved classroom hours allowing the other 65% to come from pre-approved on-line or self-study programs
Can I change my name on my license after it has already been issued?
Yes, you may order a new license. The cost is $10.00 (cashier check, money order or business check). We will need a copy of the legal documentation changing your name before we can send your new license.
I have retired and would like to maintain my social work license. Is there any special provisions for me?
We can now offer you the Inactive status for your social work license. You are still required to register the license every two years and pay the inactive status but you are not required to report any CE hours. Should a person that elected inactive status wish to return to social work practice they will be required to make up the hours at the rate of 15 hours each year inactive with the maximum to make up being 45 hours. The make up hours must follow a certain percentage in classroom and may include some on-line or self-study. The makeup hours must be at least 35% pre-approved classroom hours allowing the other 65% to come from pre-approved on-line or self-study programs.